—Instructions for On-Line Conference Registration—
1. Most attendees may register on line. Selecting a luncheon entrée automatically registers you for HOLMES, DOYLE, & FRIENDS. Choose among four entrées by clicking or tapping anywhere on the ﬁrst choice (Croissant Club Sandwich). A menu will pop out.
2. No transactions take place at our Web site! You are whisked to the site of our agent, Pay Pal™, one of the most secure services in the industry. Before registering, please have a credit card on hand, unless you have a Pay Pal account (most people don’t). Pay Pal accepts all major credit cards (Visa, Master Card, Discover, American Express, etc.). Click or tap on the Pay as a Guest, Pay with a Debit or Credit Card, or Pay without a Pay Pal Account button. Different texts may appear on different devices — they all have the same function.
3. If you register on behalf of more than one person and all pick the same luncheon entrée, use the “Quantity” option that appears with the pop-out menu. If some of you have different menu choices, click on the “Continue Shopping” option. (This is in the upper right-hand corner of most screens but may appear in different places on some devices), then repeat the registration procedure for each entrée.
4. Your registration and banquet fees appear in a virtual (imaginary) “shopping cart.” If you believe there has been an error, you may inspect and edit this “shopping cart” at any time before the ﬁnal checkout.
5. Late Charges may apply after 25 February. Please register early.
6. Going to the Banquet on Saturday evening? That’s extra. See below.
7. Vendors: Space for the 2022 HD&F sold out by October 21st 2021. If it happens again, check this site often to see if cancellations make space available.
8. Speakers: Dan Andriacco (TankervilleClub [at] GMail.com), Program Chairman, will handle your basic registration. The hotel and post-conference banquet, however, are your responsibility. You may pay for your banquet on line. See below.
Problems? Scroll down to the bottom of this page for solutions to three common difﬁculties.
There is a time-worn adage among engineers: “When all else fails, read the directions!” The following suggestions assume that you are still having problems despite having read and followed the instructions.
—Are you having problems with your “smart” telephone? One quick ﬁx (this may also apply to small tablets) is to use landscape rather than portrait mode. Landscape mode is where you hold your instrument with one of its long sides up. Portrait mode — instinctive with most people — is when you hold the instrument with one of its short sides up, as you would a book. In this case, going against your instincts might produce better results. Best of all is to throw over your telephone in favour of a desktop computer or a larger tablet.
—If you ﬁnd that Pay Pal is balky, merely trying again will often solve things. Our agent for commercial transactions is a company whimsically called “Pay Pal.” Pay Pal has recently made improvements in its programming. These alleged improvements occasionally give rise to minor problems.
—Does the Web site “lock up” at any point in the registration process? One trick that frequently solves difﬁculties is to change your browser. As you may know, having access to the Internet is not enough. Much of the content of the Internet — most, if you do not count wires (e-mails) — will appear on your screen as gibberish. A program called a “browser” is needed to change this gibberish into language and images. Browsers are given away free by the companies that publish them. The most popular browser is Chrome, by the Alphabet Company, makers of the Google search engine. (Chrome runs on almost any digital device.) Another popular browser is Edge, published by the Microsoft Corporation (Edge runs on machines using the Windows and Apple operating systems.) Yet a third is Safari, which comes with devices manufactured by the Apple Company. (Safari works on both Windows and Apple’s operating system.)
On-Line Banquet Registration:
Dan Andriacco, our genial Program Chairman, introduces a speaker at the 2022 HD&F.
We cannot oﬀer shuttles from either London’s Paddington or Dayton’s Union Station. Please take a hansom equipped with Mr. Wells’ time travel apparatus.
New to on-line registration? See the directions below! Vendors: please read instruction #7.
We regret to say that the Queen will not able to attend the Banquet. She is closeted with Lord Primrose, her Prime Minister, on the crisis in Little Russia.
Holmes, Doyle, & Friends:
March 24 and 25, 2023
Look for More News about HD&F 2023 in Late October or Early November.