Registration for “Holmes, Doyle, & Friends
2021 … B” (2022) is now open.
On-Line Banquet Registration:
Dan Andriacco, our genial Program Chairman, introduces a speaker at the 2021 HD&F.
Vendors and attendees can view their “Shopping Carts” at any time by tapping or clicking here.
We cannot oﬀer shuttles from either London’s Paddington or Dayton’s Union Train Station. Please take a hansom equipped with Mr. Wells’ time travel apparatus.
Don’t need instructions? Scroll down to the registration buttons.
Vendors and Speakers, please read instructions 6 & 7.
We regret to say that the Queen will not able to attend the Banquet. She is closeted with Lord Primrose, her Prime Minister, on the Afghan crisis.
There is a time-worn adage among engineers: “When all else fails, read the directions!” The following suggestions assume that you are still having problems despite having read and followed the instructions.
—If you ﬁnd that Pay Pal is balky, merely trying again will often solve things. Our agent for commercial transactions is a company whimsically called “Pay Pal.” Pay Pal has recently made improvements in its programming. These alleged improvements occasionally give rise to minor problems.
—Does the Web site “lock up” at any point in the registration process? One trick that frequently solves difﬁculties is to change your browser. As you may know, having access to the Internet is not enough. Much of the content of the Internet — most, if you do not count wires (e-mails) — will appear on your screen as gibberish. A program called a “browser” is needed to change this gibberish into language and images. Browsers are given away free by the companies that publish them. The most popular browser is Chrome, by the Alphabet Company, makers of the Google search engine. (Chrome runs on almost any digital device.) Another popular browser is Edge, published by the Microsoft Corporation (Edge runs only on machines using the Windows operating system.) Yet a third is Safari, which comes with devices manufactured by the Apple Company. (Safari works on both Windows and Apple’s operating system.)
—Are you having problems with your “smart” telephone? One quick ﬁx (this may also apply to small tablets) is to use landscape rather than portrait mode. Landscape mode is where you hold your instrument with one of its long sides up. Portrait mode — instinctive with most people — is when you hold the instrument with one of its short sides up, as you would a book. In this case, going against your instincts might produce better results. Best of all is to throw over your telephone completely in favour of a desktop computer, a laptop, or a larger tablet.
—Early On-Line Conference Registration—
1. Most of us may register on-line. Selecting a luncheon entrée automatically registers you for HOLMES, DOYLE, & FRIENDS. No transactions take place at our Web site! You are whisked to the site of our agent, Pay Pal, one of the most secure services in the industry. Before registering, please have a credit card on hand, unless you have a Pay Pal account (most people don’t). Pay Pal accepts all major credit cards (Visa, Master Card, Discover, American Express, etc.). Click or tap on the Pay as a Guest, Pay with a Debit or Credit Card, or Pay without a Pay Pal Account button. Different texts may appear on different devices — they all have the same function.
2. Choose among four entrées by clicking or tapping anywhere on the ﬁrst choice (Croissant Club Sandwich). A menu will pop out. In a very early version of this Web site, only three of the four choices were available due to a programming (coding) error. This was corrected some time ago.
3. If you register on behalf of more than one person and all pick the same luncheon entrée, use the “Quantity” option that appears with the pop-out menu. If some of you have different menu choices, click on the “Continue Shopping” option. (This is in the upper right-hand corner of most screens, but may appear in different places on some devices), then repeat the registration procedure for each entrée.
4. Your registration and banquet fees appear in a virtual (imaginary) “shopping cart.” If you believe there has been an error, you may inspect and edit this “shopping cart” at any time before the ﬁnal checkout.
5. Late Charges may apply after 25 February. Please register early.
6. Vendor space sold out on October 21st. A revised Traditional Registration (mail-in) Form has been posted, and the on-line Vendors’ Registration Button deleted. Watch this site to see if cancellations make space available again.
7. Speakers may use the “traditional” (mail-in) form (upper portion of this page), or ask Dan Andriacco (TankervilleClub [at] GMail.com), Program Chairman, to handle registration for them. Speakers may, however, pay for their Banquet on line.
8. Going to the Banquet on Saturday evening? That’s extra. See below.
Problems? Scroll down to the bottom of this page for solutions to three common difﬁculties.